Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 9 August 13, 2009

Today was our last day of work at the research station. There were many loose ends to take care of: photography of the last of our specimens, entering data, finish dissecting, completing "zoo" (empty fras, remove pupae, remove parasitoids, and feed with host plants), pack up equipment, and clean our labs for the next group of researchers.

I completed 2 tasks: dissection and zoo. Lee thought zoo would go quickly because we only needed to empty fras and pupae, but he underestimated the number of cats. that pupated. We had to remove them and write their specimen number and date on a separate baggie and hang in a different section. Most of the cats. were given a hefty amount of food yesterday, so most did not require more food. Junko and Suoko are considered the "experts" on fras and pupae!!! They are very dedicated and diligent in their tasks. And they only talk when necessary.

We rotated the dissection between Jared, Jenny, Judy, and myself. I continued to have poor results in findings any beads. Angela said she did not find any additional beads when she double-checked my dissections. This gave me more confidence, but also gave me concerns that her research would be impaired. However, she said this is not an issue because having a greater number of specimens in the data set will provide positive results. I am curious as to the data results and hope we will be able to obtain access to her published research.

On an interesting note, I believe she has 2 published research documents. I am going to contact her to get the information on how I can access this information. Knowing a real researcher makes reading it that much more interesting. Just like reading my blog, you are in touch with a "researcher" like me conducting real research.

Back to the "zoo"...I felt great anxiety the more bags I opened and discovered more pupae. So I alerted Angela and when Lee came into the lab, he said he would get more people to assist. So we ended up having 5 people checking bags, I organized the bags by specimen number and distributed the bags as team members handed me their inspected bags. Once you finish with a bag, you have to blow air into the bag so when the pupae develops into it' final stage (moth or butterfly) it has the space to move around. This also decreases the risk of getting smashed while hanging on the racks in the zoo.

I also completed 2 dissections during this time. Unfortunately, I did not find one bead and Angela concurred with me. Jared and Jenny had success and found several in their specimens. We now consider Jenny the expert dissecter because she is very focused, efficient, and neat in her dissection techniques. I have learned much from her acquaintance this week and am ever grateful!

In the lab next door, the rest of our team worked on taking the remaining photos of the cats. John is considered the resident expert in photography. He is very modest and does not take credit where it is certainly due. Entering the final data of this expedition includes documenting pupae, "dead" cats., and parasitoids discovered. The equipment that Lee brought with him also required packing. So as members completed their specific tasks, they joined in the packing and cleaning up of the lab. Kathy assisted Dave Wagner (fondly called "Wags") with identification of his specimens and helped pack them for the return to CT. Miraculously, we all finished just in time to hear the noon lunch bell!

Lee informed us that we would leave the research station promptly at 1:30. Those of us with laptops worked on email and blogging until he announced early that we would leave now: 1:10 pm. So as the "ever ready and prepared troopers" that we are, we quickly shutdown our laptops and gathered our packs to load up in the van.

As we drove away, I began reflecting on my learning experiences and wondered if I would see SWRS again in my future. I learned that if you volunteer to work 24 hours in a week, you receive room and board, and when not "working", you can join in research projects occurring at SWRS. This is open to university students, but I'm not sure if educators are eligible.

We were only about 15-20 miles down the road from SWRS when I felt my cell phone vibrate. It was actually receiving a signal in the middle of the desert. I was able to listen to half of a message when the signal was lost. I checked my phone in a few seconds and saw it was receiving a signal again, so I called my husband, John, and he answered! I had not spoken to him since August 6th so this was quite a treat! Again, I lost the signal a few minutes later. Our drive to Tucson was about 3 hours and I knew I'd call him when we arrived.

We reached the LaQuinta Inn and Suites near the airport around 5:00 pm. Lee allowed us one hour to get settled in and we would meet at 6:00 pm to go to the restaurant, Mi Nidito. This became famous when President Bill Clinton dined there on February 25, 1999. They do not accept reservations, so when we arrived the wait for about one hour. I took this opportunity to call John again. This conversation really made me feel homesick and I knew it was time to go home.

The restaurant was very accommodating and we were seated in close proximity, but in one large group and 2 booths. The meal was very good. Mexican food is loved by everyone in my family and I enjoy eating their less spicey foods. Today is Suoko's birthday! We had a special dessert requested for her and she was very delighted by this. As usual, I took pictures of her smiling and enjoying this treat.

We we arrived back at the hotel, I did not have to repack for the airplane because I spent the time wisely from 5 - 6 pm and rearranged my baggage. The backpack and Camelbak (water bottle backpack) had to go into my large luggage. I'm glad I didn't have to repack after dinner because I, along with everyone, was very tired.

Lee met with us for the last time after dinner and gave a very brief description of what we accomplished this week. He said we collected approximately 12 new species for his research. His data would be compiled and available on his website at a future date. He explained that if we wanted to sign up for his other sites, we would have to pay for the expedition. When you receive a fellowship, you cannot request a project or professor. So if I choose to go to Costa Rica or Equador, I'll have to pay for my expedition. I actually would really enjoy Costa Rica from the details he has provided this week. The climate is about the same year round and not as hot or humid as Florida. Time will only tell what activities I engage in for my future.

Most of us said our "goodbyes and goodnights" in case we missed each other during the continental breakfast. Some of us had airplane departures about the same time, so we made arrangements to meet in the morning for a quick breakfast and airport shuttle ride. Sometimes goodbyes can be sad, but I was ready to return to home and to my new position at Westgate as a 5th grade science teacher. With all of my newfound knowledge and ideas spinning in my head, I was anxious to return and get started on a new school year!

[This post was completed 3 days after my return. The Dallas airport wireless connection was not cooperative. I spent most of my weekend catching up on household duties and spending time with family]

No comments:

Post a Comment