Monday, August 3, 2009

36 hours before I take OFF!

Hello Faithful Followers!


Our local cable news channel Bay News 9 aired my interview today about my Earthwatch Expedition. Here is the link in case you don't live in our viewing area or missed it:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/8/3/504266.html

You can view the actual interview online. It is fantastic public relations for Westgate Elementary and for Earthwatch!


After you view the piece, in case you are wondering about the shot of the shoreline....I was explaining to the photojournalist that I am going to become a phytoplankton monitor for NOAA in late August. I will be the first for Pinellas County, Florida. This is a volunteer opportunity to share more "real world science" with my students. It requires a 2 year commitment and at least bi-monthly sample collections. I can collect it weekly if I choose. I will learn to identify friendly and harmful phytoplankton and send the samples overnight by FedEx (sorry John, no PO!).


Well, about 36 hours until takeoff. I am still in the process of sorting clothes, essentials, and lots of sunscreen! I wish American Airlines offerred "internet services" on their flight because I would journal during the flight. I read recently that about 500 flights currently offer this service and it will become the norm in the future....now whether or not it will be a free service is another discussion.


Adam Seidman, Engagement Coordinator with Earthwatch, told me in a recent email he just returned from this same expedition but his location was in California. Scientists replicate this research on caterpillars in different regions around the world. This is a wonderful example for our students to learn that "real scientists" conducting experiments have to write precise, explicit instructions so other scientists can duplicate the experiment. Adam said I will learn so much from Dr. Dyer and his associates. One never knows what opportunities will come from this experience!


I guess I need to go back to packing.......I am bringing the "RED" ducttape that my dear colleague Patty gave to me. My son, JR, said he never leaves home without it! Thanks, Patty! I bet you never thought your RED ducttape would become famous on my blog (My favorite color is RED!).

I hope to squeeze in another post before takeoff! Here's one important note for you to follow as I journal: my front tooth has split....I've had hairline cracks for years and it decided to give way today! I had a dental appt in the morning to have a permanent crown placed....I just hope they can salvage my front tooth without grinding it down and giving me a temp. I don't want my nickname in AZ to become "snaggletooth"......Oh the things I get myself into! :-)

Stay tuned!!!! There's always more adventure with me!....................................

No comments:

Post a Comment